Thursday, October 8, 2020

To Be - 1977 - To Be

To Be
1977
To Be




01. Samba For Heino R. 8:36
02. Flügel 4:10
03. Is It Liebman's Song? 6:52
04. Tell The Truth 8:34
05. Glücklich 5:46
06. Communication 6:36

Bass – Rolf Köhler
Drums – Lemmie Lembrecht
Guitar – Peter Weihe
Keyboards – Claus-Robert Kruse
Percussion, Drums – Peter Franken

Recorded at Maschen November 1976




German supergroup of top pop and rock musicians from Hamburg (many of whom had played with the Achim Reichel band), To Be were surprisingly an instrumental jazz-rock outfit.

To Be - now there's a name/title that's easy to find on the internet. When I first heard this album, I hated it. Of course, I fully expected it to be a full-on Krautrock album filled with heavy organ and acid guitar solos. It's on Brain right? And that cover looks great to me. And long tracks too! Yea, well, that goes back to 1988 when I found it at a local record show. So YouTube boy, don't get all high and mighty on me that I should have known better.

Many years later, I caught the "Kraut Fusion" bug. And To Be is a bulls eye for that style. Latin tinged fusion, in particular, was all the rage in late 70s Northern Europe. So what we have here is an instrumental mid 70s Santana mixed with Return to Forever. Some fine guitar solos, extra percussion, and complex unison runs are what you'll hear. All packaged nicely to go with your Pina Colada. It's a bit slick, sure, but I like it.

1 comment: