Thursday, March 21, 2024

Steve Fowler - 1987 - Captured

Steve Fowler
1987
Captured



01. The Pygmy Forest 4:52
02. Colors For Marvin 4:07
03. For H.H. He Is Abnormal 6:18
04. The Gentleman Of Leisure 3:58
05. The Wayside 5:23
06. They Hang Out 6:08
07. Bikini Paralysis 4:45
08. Drowning In The Air 3:53

Drums – Chester Thompson
Electric Bass – Ed Fowler
Guitar – Mike O'Neill
Percussion – Alex Acuña
Flute, Alto Saxophone – Steve Fowler
Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Keyboards – Walt Fowler
Synth – Paul Young
Trombone – Bruce Fowler
Vocals – Marvin Fowler


One of 5 musical brothers, and the son of a classical composer and professor of music, Steve has been surrounded by both jazz abd classical music throughtout his life. The Fowler Brothers' Band was a pioneer in the early days of fusion and the use of synthesizers in jazz. Recently, the Fowler Brothers have developed their own record company and have all found work in the LA film industry, playing and orchestrating on many movies, including The Lion King, Batman Returns and The Mask. Steve has toured the U S with the Brian Setzer Orchestra and the Gregory Hines Group "Rhapsody in Taps" and The Fowler Brothers. Steve has recorded with The Fowler Brothers, Linda Ronstadt, Brian Setzer, Chester Thompson, Scott Brannon, Stan Ridgeway, Geraldo Avevido, Hillary Stagg and many others.

The Flute makes a lonely sound, its high floating tones evoking a kind of ineffable sadness that rises over the accompaniment of other instruments. It could have been the mood I was in that made me feel that way as I drove away from the small, dark apartment occupied by Steve Fowler. He had given me a compact disc called "The Last Blue Sky" that I listened to as I edged through the blistering heat of North Hollywood on a cloudless Valley day. Fowler produced the album and plays the flute in it. I became absorbed by its sound and imagined it came from someplace deep in the man's soul..........I became aware of himwhen a friend sent me a eulogy Fowler had written for himself, its depth and beauty transcending illness to achieve a plane most writers never know. ......... The memory of Steve Fowler burns in my memory. His written words resonate. Driving away, I listen to the tears in his music, the lonely cry of his flute, and I feel a great sadness.

2 comments: