Sunday, April 24, 2022

Al Gafa Quinteto - 1976 - Leblon Beach

Al Gafa Quinteto
1976
Leblon Beach



01. Barcelona
02. Abre Alas
03. Land Of The Living Dead
04. Sometime You Win, Sometime You Lose
05. Affirmation

Bass – Ben Brown
Drums – Al Foster
Guitar – Al Gafa
Piano – Kenny Barron
Percussion – Azzedin Weston




Gafa worked extensively as a session musician for recordings in the mid and late 1960s in New York. In jazz he worked in that decade with Kai Winding, Michel Legrand, Sam Donahue, Duke Pearson, and Carmen McRae. He worked with McRae until 1971, then played in the 1970s with Dizzy Gillespie, Mike Longo, and Yusef Lateef. Gafa put together his own small groups in the decade; his sidemen included Kenny Barron, Ben Brown, Al Foster, Steve LaSpina, Andy LaVerne, Dave Shapiro, and Richard Wyands. He worked with Johnny Hartman from 1978 to 1982 and in the early 1980s with Susannah McCorkle and Joe Albany, Sammy Davis Jr., Sylvia Syms, Morgana King, Shirley Horn.


I must admit that until a couple of days ago I had no idea who this cat was, saw a bootleg cd in a second hand shop close to my home, and the cover got my attention, I checked it out and some pretty well known names where backing up this dude, so I took it home and it blew me away!. The only info I have on the guy are a couple of lines I found on Wikipedia and that I copied above. If anyone has some more info on the man, please let us know!

1 comment: