Thursday, April 1, 2021

The Rolling Stones - 2021 - The Art Collins Tapes & More...

The Rolling Stones
2021
The Art Collins Tapes & More...


Empress Valley EVSD 1288-1298

01. Neighbours I
02. Let s Go Steady Again I
03. Tried To Talk Her Into It I
04. Keep It Cool II,
05. Can t Find Love II
06. Can t Find Love IV
07. Eliza II
08. High School Girl,
09. Stop That I
10. All I Have To Do Is Dream (False Start) I
11. All I Have To Do Is Dream (Full Take) III and IV
12. Piano Fragment
13. Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever
14. Talk Is Cheap
15. What Am I Supposed To Do16. Stick It Where It Hurts.

01. Can t Cut The Mustard #I
02. Can t Cut The Mustard II
03. Can t Cut The Mustard III
04. Victor Hugo (on insert Can t Cut The Mustard IV)
05. Keep It Cool II
06. Wanna Hold You
07. She Was Hot I (Country)
08. Can t Find Love I
09. What I Am Saying Is True I7
10. What I Am Saying Is True II
11. What I Am Saying Is True III.

01. Keep It Cool I (on insert II)
02. Wanna Hold You V
03. Pretty Beat Up I
04. Feel On Baby I
05. Hang Fire V
06. Black Limousine IV
07. No Use In Crying V
08. Neighbours III
09. Slave III (a.k.a. Vagina)
10. Waiting On A Friend III
11. Unknown Song Take#I.

01. Unknown Song Take#II
02. Unknown Instrumental
03. Shirley
04. Too Tough (Triple X)
05. It Must Be Hell I
06. Undercover Of The Night V
07. Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) III
08. She Was Hot II
09. Feel On Baby II
10. All The Way Down I
11. Too Much Blood I
12. Tried To Talk Her Into It II
13. Too Much Blood III.

01. Pretty Beat Up I (X mas issue)
02. Dog Shit
03. Keep It Cool II
04. Keep It Cool I (not on insert)
05. Gotta Know You (Wanna Hold You I)
06. Wanna Hold You II
07. All The Way Down II
08. Gotta Know You II
09. Rocker
10. Slinky.

01. Can t Find Love III
02. Heartbeat III (take#I on insert)
03. Heartbeat I (take#II on insert)
04. Heartbeat II (take#III on insert)
05. Cooking Up IV (a.k.a. What I Am Saying Is True)
06. Something I Want I (a.k.a. Your Love)
07. Eliza I
08. Chris Song
09. Part Of The Night (a.k.a. Golden Caddy V)
10. Pink Pick
11. Pull Over
12. The Golden Mile
13. The Dog
14. Show Me A Woman I
15. Melobar.

01. Mick s Idea
02. Mick s Idea (incomplete)
03. Just My Imagination (take #I)
04. Miss You
05. Lies (take #I)
06. Munich Hilton (take #I)
07. Munich Hilton (take #II)
08. When You re Gone (Red Eyes)
09. Hang Fire
10. Shattered
11. Stay Where You Are
12. Lies (take #II)
13. Brown Leaves II (a.k.a. Dancing Girls)
14. You Don t Have To Go,
15. Broken Head Blues (Unknown Song on insert)
16. Shame Shame Shame
17. Black Limousine III,
18. Little T&A (Unknown Song on insert)
19. Just My Imagination (take#II)
20. Mick s Idea (In Your Hand)
21. Hideaway.

01. I Love You Too Much V (Run And Take on insert)
02. Dance Mr. K (a.k.a. Still In Love)
03. Munich Hilton V
04. Christine
05. Identification
06. Flirty
07. Discovery Bar
08. Everlasting Is My Love II (Nanker Phelge)
09. Claudine II
10. Get Yourself Together (on insert I Can See It -See Me)
11. We Had It All
12. Let s Go Steady
13. Aladdin Story
14. Dance Pt. I
15. I Think I m Going Mad III
16. She Was Hot VI (withdrawn 12 version).

01. Too Much Blood II
02. Undercover Of The Night X (Short Dub)
03. Undercover Of The Night X (Long Dub)
04. Vagina (Slave II)
05. Black Limousine
06. Waiting On A Friend IIa
07. Waiting On A Friend IIb
08. Start Me Up II
09. Start Me Up V
10. Neighbours II
11. Tops I
12. Hang Fire V
13. Tops III
14. Vagina (Slave new vocal)
15. Vagina (Slave vocal II)
16. Vagina (Slave II).

01. Waiting On A Friend III
02. Black Limousine IV
03. Neighbours II
04. Claudine I
05. I Think I m Going Mad I
06. Worried About You II
07. Heaven II
08. Hang Fire IV
09. Tops I
10. No Use In Crying V
11. Start Me Up III
12. Too Much Blood I
13. Too Much Blood II
14. Too Much Blood III
15. Too Much Blood IV
16. Too Much Blood V
17. Too Much Blood VI.

01. Too Much Blood VII
02. Too Much Blood VIII
03. Too Much Blood IX
04. Too Much Blood X
05. Too Much Blood XI
06. Too Much Blood XII
07. Too Much Blood XIII
08. Too Much Blood XIV
09. Too Much Blood XV.

11 red label cds
78.42/62.46/68.08/79.28/73.29/76.49/77.49/76.18/79.27/76.16/75.45

Disc One: Soundboard stereo
Disc Two, Tracks 1-5,12-16.: Soundboard stereo, Tracks 6-11: Soundboard mono
Discs Three, Four: Soundboard stereo
Disc Five, Soundboard stereo except for Tracks 5,6: Soundboard mono;
Discs Six-Eleven: Soundboard stereo except for Disc Eight, Track 10: Soundboard mono

Included inside are extensive recording venue information.

Limitd Edition box set.



Who was Art Collins? Well he entered the music business in 1975, working in Atlantic Records promotion department and then joined Rolling Stones Records of which he eventually became president. In 1982 he turned to management; over the years his roster included Joe Jackson, Marianne Faithfull and Marshall Crenshaw. He died suddenly at 52 years of age and his cassettes were eventually sold by his family and part of them turned out on many Stones bootlegs because they featured studio 70s-80s outtakes and alternate versions. Lately a batch of never heard tracks popped up in mp3 format and soon became the subject of many releases. Here in fact the sound output is excellent, not just soundboard sourced, but there is complete absence of hiss and brutal stereo separation On Disc One a nice surprise being High School Girl lasting over 6 minutes and ending with studio chat. It must be stressed that there are A.Collins cassette tapes that have just 2 songs (and they are continuously auctioned even these days), so the songs are not presented in any chronological order. Continuing checking Disc One it can be said that on Talk Is Cheap the bass frequencies are not as distorted as in the previous release of the song on Foxes in the Boxes vol.2. Disc Two presents more Foxes in the Boxes tracks with three takes of Can t Cut The Mustard, the first version of Had It With You), with Keith on vocals on the first, Ron on the second and a few seconds instrumental on the third and not four as stated on the insert that incorrectly calls Victor Hugo Can t Cut The Mustard #4. Next is the long version of Keep It Cool and tracks from the Virchov Tapes including 3 takes of Cookin Up (here called What I Am Saying Is True). The Virchov Tape tracks are in usual mono low quality and this is weird if we keep as benchmark High School Girl that comes from the same session and is instead in excellent stereo quality; however, Can t Find Love I lasts here 9,25 minutes.The first three songs on Disc Three come again from the 1982 sessions, but then we get tracks from other sessions from 1979 and 1980 not part of the Foxes set; the instrumental take that ends this disc as well as the one that opens Disc Five are unknown songs and feature a sax and 2 guitars, the first lasts over 4 minutes and the second over 8; the next instrumental follows in the same mood although being a bit funkier and clocks in at 8.20; Shirley is a Ron Wood song that lasts 2.47 minutes and is the official version of the song originally recorded by Ron Wood in 1974 for his first solo album. The version of Feel On Baby is sung by Jagger and is in excellent sound clocking is at 9.37 minutes. On Disc Five there is again version II of Keep It Cool but this time it ends with drums differently from the previous take, a song called Gotta Know You (Wanna Hold You #1) that comes from the Oct.82 sessions like Wanna Hold You II but then there is Gotta Know You II allegedly coming from the Nov.82 sessions; anyway here there is quite much dead air at the end or at the beginning of the tracks and coupled with the inclusion of the official version of Shirley (which may have been left over the original cassette tape) on previous disc reveals that there has been no edit of these tracks which have been printed straight from the source. The last two tracks of this disc are fast instrumentals with a piano in the background the first one and a groovy take that seems the embryonic version of Tie You Up lasting just over 1 minute. On Disc Eight, together with the Paris 82 outtakes come also some earlier ones, from Get Yourself Together to Aladdin Story that date back to mid sixties and early 70, the reason is unknown maybe because the band was evaluating the possibility to release an outtakes compilation again in the 80’s or adding these songs to compilations album already planned to come out? However they are in not so great quality and seem to have been copied by some other bootleg album rather being genuine first generation tracks; they do not fit in here and are a bizarre addition. Another strange thing here is the Nanker-Phelge credits to the song Everlasting Is My Love, allegedly coming from writing on the cassette tape label, maybe it was a group effort? On Disc Nine we get the very first take of Slave from Rotterdam 75, no vocals and no sax in great quality. More vintage tracks on Disc Ten which features 6 takes of Too Much Blood while the whole of Disc Eleven is devoted to the same song various remixes, a bit of a torture, frankly, by the way Track 16 on Disc Ten lasts only 1.13 minutes. What can be said about this box then? Well, thanks to its reduced price and great quality content we certainly cannot call it a redundant product, since the original liberated tracks would fill 23 discs it is still possible we get part two in the future.

Let’s end this review reporting what is written in the latest Jo Wood book Stoned in the chapter called Cassettes: “when the band was in the studio every DAY each band member received a cassette tape with the previous night tracks; I have plenty of cassette tapes, shall go through them one day to sort them out.” We can only guess what is on them…and hope they will come out someday.

3 comments:




  1. http://www.filefactory.com/file/26jbrkpf03w2/7249.rar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful find, sooo many thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for this great Boxset!

    Any chance for an Lossless version? Would be amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete